Monday, June 27, 2011

Linda Kage - The Stillburrow Crush

The Stillburrow Crush
I've been sitting at my desk for ten minutes thinking about how best to describe The Stillburrow Crush. I guess all I can do is try...
Sixteen year old Carrie Paxton lives in a small town and sees herself as the odd girl out. As editor of the school's journal it's her job to get Stillburrow's very own star quarterback Luke Carter to answer some questions about the teams latest game. She certainly didn't anticipate the effect Luke has on her without even trying. Crushing on him isn't something she's particularly proud of. When he suddenly starts showing interest, Carrie's confusion approaches an all time high. Picture her with a thought bubble above her head - a mega-sized questionmark in it.
Reading the synopsis, most will come to expect an American "Plain Jane falls for Jock" love story and they wouldn't be completely wrong in doing so. Now prepare for the big but (because there is definitely one just around the corner):

This story is about so much more! It's about the joys and hardships of living in a small town where everybody knows each other. It's about parents raising their children. It's about misconception and clarity. It's about your way to find happiness and the realization that it means to face not only good things, but also loss and anger along the way. It's about the relationship between siblings and how it takes one to understand the other. It's about fear to be who you really want to be and that special person who gives you a swift kick in the butt. Last but not least (no more starting sentences with "It's about" afterwards) it's about teenagers finding out what love means.

Did I scare you off yet? I really hope not!
I don't want to mislead you. The book doesn't have some big unbelievable whopper of a plot. It's simplicity is what makes it complex. Carrie's story might as well be yours or mine. You shouldn't just skip through it, for I can guarantee you'd miss the hidden meaning that can be found between the lines.

Luke wasn't what I would call the perfect hero. Carrie, too, could be a handful. I loved their squabbles and how Carrie just had to always have the last word. Her thoughts had my head spinning. Other times I could only smile in amusement. While reading I was often thinkging how close to reality it came, what Kage so beautifully wrote about. The tone of the book - in some way - reminded me of the TV show Friday Night Lights. I should add that there's no sex (not counting any insinuations) - and to be honest that wouldn't have felt right anyway. You'll see what I mean when you read it yourself!
 
Please don't miss out on this read. It's truly beautiful. 5 heartfelt stars to The Stillburrow Crush by Linda Kage.
Beware of Spoilers!
A few of my favorite quotes for those of you who are interested:
° "...how dare he look at me with those blue orbs and display such a genuine smile?"
° "Get a crush on the best looking, most popular, rich boy in school. How original."
° "I'm not your chauffeur. I know. It's worse. You're my brother."
° "People give out their gossip and their snooty opinions like they're the Word of God."
° "Just shut up and answer me."

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for recommending this one to me! Sounds good, I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like such a fun, light read! *adds it to my towering TBR pile*

    Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...